Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Window in Our Front Door

My starting point



Back in mid-November I attended a photography seminar that featured a Canadian photography legend as one of the feature speakers. His name is Freeman Patterson. When I first became interested in photography, his book "Photography and the Art of Seeing" made a big impact. It made me look at my surroundings and the way light interacted with these surroundings in a different way. I like to think that it improved my photography. Freeman suggested that a great exercise to improve your pictures was to set your tripod down in some random location and shoot a roll of film, making the most interesting photos you could create. As painfully boring as the location could be, the exercise forced creativity. The digital days have reduced the pressure to create great pictures within 24 exposures. However the basic exercise is still useful. Take some ordinary, everyday object and try to create something interesting. Over the next couple of days you will see what I came up with using the window in our front door. Let me know what you think.

No comments: