Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cayman Brac - Nurse Shark

Nurse shark with remora, Cayman Brac, March, 2010

Mick our boat captain/divemaster said to keep our eyes open for nurse sharks on this dive. Two sharks could be reliably be found at this site in the past, but they had not been seen for awhile. Tracey and I were first in the water and began our search, checking numerous overhangs and small caves. I stuck my head in one small opening and gulped as my eyes focused on the distinctive tail fin just in front of me. Backing out of the opening I signaled "shark" to Tracey and swam around to the other side of the coral head to see if I could get a better look. A larger opening to the cave revealed one tail, one head, another tail?!? THREE large nurse sharks were stacked in the hole like cord wood.

No comments: